Pages

Saturday, March 31, 2012

EDLD 5301 Reflections


During EDLD 5301, I have learned valuable information pertaining to the beginning steps to performing an action research project. This course has helped me recognize the difference between traditional research and action inquiry. I understand the importance of continuous evaluation and revision. I know this is going to be a long process, but it feels like a way to actually make a mark on the world.  To play a role in making a positive change in education is the reason why I became a teacher in the first place. Action research provides an avenue for reaching others and improving learning for all students.
I enjoyed the interviews from week two, especially Dr. Kirk Lewis’s views on action research and how to make it relevant and practical. The strategies for sustaining improvement from week four interested me and I have already researched ways to include the Delphi method and the Nominal Group Technique into my data collection. The CARE model described in the Harris text provides a way to “examine improvement with a focus on sustainability” (Harris, Edmonson & Combs, 2010, p. 97). I plan to use all of these methods to improve the quality of my research.
The discussion boards and blog entries in this course were very beneficial because it allowed us to communicate with each other and provide feedback on our topics and ideas. This provided some comfort that others were having the same concerns and obstacles.
I feel confident that I will be able to aid my campus and district by providing answers to questions that have challenged administrators and hindered the growth of technology in the classroom. Even though I still have many questions, I am certain that I have enough insight to begin data collection.
I believe that action research should be a component of lifelong learning and professional development. I look forward to working with administration, staff, and my site supervisor during the entire process. I know I will help others by completing this project and providing quality solutions and encouraging the utilization of effective strategies for professional development focused on the implementation of technology resources in the classroom.

Harris, S., Edmonson, S., & Combs, J. (2010). Examining what we do to improve our schools: 8 steps from analysis to action. Larchmont, NY: Eye on Education.

No comments:

Post a Comment